Not being able to get a great night sleep can wreck havoc with your daily life. Waking up groggy after finally getting to sleep at that final hour before having to get up for work is the worst feeling ever.
The odd terrible night sleep isn’t so bad, its when one night of poor sleeping becomes two nights, then three nights and more.
A great night’s sleep can leave you feeling, refreshed, re-energised and ready to party.
Here are 6 tips to help you get a great night sleep:
- Having things on your mind can be the one big thing that keeps you awake at night. Overthinking whats happened during the day, thinking I should’ve, could’ve and had’ve keeps replaying on loop when we could be having sweet dreams and waking up refreshed.
Better out than in they say, writing a journal before you sleep can help get all your thoughts out of your head and on to paper.
If its someone thats annoyed you during the day thats upset you, writing a detailed no hold barred letter to them with all your thoughts and feelings then ripping it up after.
2. Feeling hungry can keep you awake at night. Make sure you’ve had all the food your body needs to function throughout the day and don’t go to sleep hungry. If you have to adjust your mealtimes accordingly then do it.
Nutrient rich snacks are better to snack rather than anything with sugar, which could leave you feeling hyper.
3. Cut back on caffeine. Green Tea, Fruit Tea’s and Chamomile are way better options. Chamomile Tea is one of the best calming tea’s. Yes we probably know this already but a reminder can help trigger you to make that change.
Sugary drinks are also a no no near bed time.
4. Exercising to burn off excess energy can really help you sleep, it works with kids and animals. It also releases chemicals that make you happy too, which will help you feel better anyway.
Cardio, weights, yoga and swimming are great options. A good swim can work wonders.
5. Meditation and/or mindfulness can supercharge quality of sleep by lowering your stress levels.
Meditation doesn’t have to be sitting in a trance for as long as you can, it can be as simple as listening to guided meditation, there’s thousands of them on Youtube.
Headspace is a great app for meditation too.
6. Aromatherapy is fantastic for improving sleep quality. There are endless ways to use it too. A hot bath with calming and relaxing oils such as lavender or chamomile, putting fresh lavender underneath your pillow and sleep sprays are great.
The quality of aromatherapy oil matters so be sure to use ones from reputable brands that use 100% essential oils.
Bramley recently launched a sleep spray that is made up of Lavender, Yarrow and Chamomile essential oils to help ease the mind and induce a restful sleep. It uses Apple Seed Oil as its base oil.
The essential oils used in Bramley Sleep Spray are fair trade, wild crafted, grown sustainably and sourced with integrity. The packaging is recyclable and all product ingredients are biodegradable, ensuring that Bramley is as safe for the environment as it is for your body.
How to use: Spray onto your pillow or face as the final step before bed for a restful night’s sleep.
One final tip thats not included in the six is to limit or switch off your mobile devices before bed. Most of us Google, do social or swipe left/right etc in bed so I know its a big ask.
Bramley Sleep Spray: £16 / 100ml will be available from autumn 2018 www.bramleyproducts.co.uk