Insomnia is a common problem that many people suffer from, in fact according to the NHS website 1 in 3 of us suffer from poor sleep. Lack of sleep can cause all sorts of problems in your life, from making you feel tired and grumpy to increasing your risk for health problems. So how can you get the best sleep of your life? Here are some tips to help you get started!
1. Get rid of all TVs, computers, and phones from your bedroom. Ok, I know this is a little drastic and this may take some convincing. If you can manage this it could help your relationship too especially if your spend time mainly browsing instead of arousing and ‘talking’ with the person you share your bed with.
2. Create an evening routine to help you relax before bed. A nice bath with relaxing essential oils, scented candles soft music or a sleep story on the ‘Calm’ app. Calming tea is good too. Tea Pigs, Twinings and even Aldi have relaxing herbal tea’s. Aldi’s Sleep Tea recently made the news when an Aldi shopper praised it for being better than sleeping pills.
3. Turn off the lights in your room at least 30 minutes before bedtime. You could also turn down the room daily like they do in hotels and leave a dim light on. My husband has made this a ritual, turning down the room around 7pm so when we go up after 11pm the covers are folded back with the dimmed lamp in the corner.
4. Sleep on a comfortable mattress that provides support for your body’s natural curves. Comfort is everything
5. Stop drinking caffeine after 2pm and if you can, give it up altogether. Replace with herbal tea. Lighter meals during the day and a good substantial meal in the evening can also help. Feeling hungry can keep you awake as well as snacking on sugary snacks because you’re hungry.
6. Practice deep breathing techniques to release tension from your body before going to sleep. Relaxing spray mist is great to help you feel calm.
By Natasha J Gordon Love & Life Coach